SGTech’s First Virtual Meet-The-Members Session
More than 100 industry executives gathered to catch up with one another and to hear updates on industry-relevant programmes and initiatives at SGTech’s bi-annual Meet-the-Members session on 10 Dec 2020.
SGTech’s First Vice-Chairman, Mr Andy Sim, welcomed the participants and presented a review of the association’s initiatives and achievements in 2020, including:
- Launch of the SGTech STAR Fund, supported by Facebook and Enterprise Singapore.
- Progressive announcement of the Chapter and Committee advocacy positions. The groups are moving to enrol stakeholders to join us in making our advocacy a reality.
- SGTech has proactively reached out to government agencies including IMDA, Enterprise Singapore, and the Smart Nation & Digital Government Office to raise issues and initiate dialogues on topics that are close to our heart - such as helping businesses, Singapore’s digitalisation drive, as well as data privacy and trust.
- Launch of a series of activities under the “Go Global” umbrella, with 14 activities for 7 key markets in the past 6 months to help members go international.
- Expansion of manpower programme through a strong partnership and a shared commitment between IMDA and SGTech to help address the tech talent crunch and industry challenges more effectively.
Leadership change in SGTech Secretariat
Mr Sim also announced the change in leadership in the SGTech Secretariat - Mr Yeo See Kiat leaves the SGTech Secretariat in December. Ms Yean Cheong, the new Executive Director, now helms the Secretariat and will oversee the execution of SGTech’s mission and strategy.
Mr Yeo took the opportunity to bid farewell to the members while Ms Cheong introduced herself to the members. She expressed that she is looking forward to serving the tech sector, together with the support of the ExCo and Council members.
Chapter and Committee Plans
The Chairpersons of the Chapters and Committees continued with their update on their upcoming plans for 2020.
- Artificial Intelligence & High-Performance Computing Chapter: Develop an integrated ecosystem to support the development of AI capabilities among tech companies.
- Cloud & Data Chapter: Build an ecosystem of support to enable ICT companies to effectively leverage Cloud for business growth.
- Cyber Security Chapter: Promote awareness of the need for cybersecurity and drive the growth and competence of the cybersecurity industry to position Singapore as the regional cybersecurity hub.
- Digital Transformation Chapter: Provide access to information on best practices and successful cases of technology implementation, business process improvement and workforce reskilling for digital transformation.
- Singapore Enterprise Chapter: Create an ecosystem and support tech SMEs to venture abroad.
- Smart Nation Chapter: Promote and facilitate the growth of an ecosystem of smart technology innovators and adopters to provider holistic smart city solutions for both the Singapore and international markets.
We welcome members to participate in Chapter activities that interest them.
New Committees - EdTech Committee and Game Committee
The group also welcomed the formation of two new Committees - EdTech Committee and Game Committee. These new committees demonstrate SGTech’s intent to deepen our representation of the tech sector, especially in emerging areas.
The EdTech Committee represents EdTech organisations who are developing technologies for education uses and Educational Centres who are keen to transform themselves digitally to deliver a more holistic educational experience. The co-Chairpersons of the EdTech Committee are Ms Jamie Tan and Mr Stanley Chia. Ms Tan addressed the group and spoke about EdTech in a nutshell and the Committee’s vision and road map.
The Game Committee comprises globally leading companies in the Game industry that base their teams and investments here in Singapore. The Committee seeks to represent the Game industry on a local, regional, and global scale to drive awareness, education, and investment. The co-Chairperson of the Game Committee are Mr James Miner and Mr Simon Davis. They spoke about their shared vision for the Game Committee and upcoming plans, including supporting industry development activities and education programmes.
Updates on Initiatives
Lastly, the Secretariat also provided updates on current and upcoming initiatives, including:
Talent and workforce schemes designed to help tech companies to hire and train mid-career talents
- SGTech’s partnership with China counterparts which paves the way for our members to do business with and in China under the SGTech Go Global programme.
- SGTech STAR Fund - qualifying criteria and qualifying periods
The last segment of the day was the virtual networking session. Breakout sessions were created to facilitate in-depth conversations for each chapter, committee and initiative. Participants were free to “walk in” and join the discussion in any session during the networking segment.
SGTech is grateful for the support from our members and Excos of our Chapters and Committees for the success of this event. We look forward to serving you in 2021!
To find out how to join the newly-formed EdTech or Game Committees or any other Chapter or Committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published Dec 2020